About the webinar
This 40 minute webinar, presented by Dr Kirstine Bell, covers the importance of carbohydrates in the diet and what makes them an essential nutrient. The Glycemic Index (GI), how it is calculated and what determines a low v high GI food is also discussed. The relationship between glycemic index and gylcemic load (GL) and how the GL is determined is also examined. As is the evidence for Low GI diets in reducing type 2 diabetes, gestational diabetes and heart disease risk. The evidence for weight management is also considered. Dr Bell also provides some practical tips on how to implement a low GI diet that you can use with your clients. At the end of the webinar there is a quiz for you to complete to meet the requirements for self-assessed Continuing Professional Development.
Links are provided to further recommended reading and resources.
- Know how to describe why carbohydrates are an essential nutrient.
- Know the recommend carbohydrate amount for a healthy diet.
- Be able to describe the Glycemic Index (GI) and Glycemic Load (GL) and how they are determined.
- Be able to explain the evidence behind the low GI diet for managing diabetes and good health.
- Put your recommendations into practice including tips and swaps for a low GI diet.
For more information about Glycemic Index (GI) visit their website here